MANSIONAs we left the reading, Michael commented, “I hope I don't start moving like an old man until I’m 96.” (A slightly different video version of Abram’s lecture, which also ends with “Mansion,” is available on the web at: http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/newsrel2007/prabramsfellowship.htm)
So it came timefor me to cede myself and I chose the wind to be delivered to The wind was glad and said it needed all the body it could get to show its motions with and wanted to know willingly as I hoped it would if it could do something in return to show its gratitude When the tree of my bones rises from the skin I said come and whirlwinding stroll my dust around the plain so I can see how the ocotillo does and how saguaro-wren is and when you fall with evening fall with me here where we can watch the closing up of day and think how morning breaks
—A.R. Ammons
On Thursday night, we watched Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains, a film documentary by Jonathan Demme about the 39th president’s controversial book, Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid. What most impressed me was Carter’s ability, at 84, to remain himself and to speak clearly and firmly out of his own beliefs while being criticized, misquoted, harangued, talked down to, and heckled in public. Carter spoke in different voices to different groups. For example, with Palestinians, he spoke primarily about their need to contain violence and take responsibility for their elected government’s actions. With Israelis, he emphasized their need to return lands to the Palestinians and take down the walls. Nobody was happy with him. But he was trying to voice in each situation, I think, what was being left out of that particular conversation. It takes a lot of self to do that. In the final scenes of the film, Jimmy and Rosalynn were biking along a red dirt road in Georgia—not bad for 84 and 81.
There must be lots of these amazing old men around; I want to hear more from them.
BABA GHANNOOJ
1 unblemished eggplant, about 1 lb.
1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
¼ c. lemon juice (or half again as much)
¼ c. finely chopped sweet onion
½ t. salt
1 T. good olive oil
2 T. tahini
Pierce the unpeeled eggplant all round with a sharp fork and broil it on the highest oven shelf until thoroughly charred—blackened—on all sides and a fragrance fills the kitchen. While the eggplant broils, about 15-20 minutes, whir the remaining ingredients together in a blender until completely smooth. When the eggplant is done, cool it somewhat, slice it open, and scrape the chunks of pulp into the blender. Blend the entire contents again until smooth.
Pour into a shallow bowl and drizzle another T. of olive oil over the top. Serve the baba ghannnooj as soon as possible with an array of sliced fresh vegetables—cucumber, carrot, radish, pepper—or with fresh French bread or whole-grain pitas or corn chips.
Happy summer eating.
—Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment